A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s) and their dog. Let the journey begin..
We’ve had a busy week with extended family. Today my brother came with his two labs that Gunny and Abby have never met. We knew this would be a good time to work with Gunny. I got out my camera and just took some videos of Knox heeling Gunny and then my brother getting out and bringing his dogs over. Knox gradually works towards them. I’m sure there are lots of things the two of us still need to work on but I felt like Gunny made progress today. We also did the approach by a stranger. That’s the only video I have with Abby.
Knox and I both had moments celebrating both Gunny and Abby doing a few turns etc while heeling without hearing any collar corrections. Those were good moments for Knox that are helping him persevere.
These are very candid videos. You’ll hear me talking to my kids, talking to my brother and his friend, talking to Knox, talking to Abby. Why do I talk so much? ๐
There are a lot of videos but I thought I’d just post what I have. Hoping maybe next week we could get together with one of you
What a great use of additional distractions! Perfect KMODT thinking. I will review later this afternoon once family leaves. Planning on having you here on Monday at 10 to do some review again. If Knoxs can come, would love to see him and Gunny, too!
Well, well, well. ๐๐๐Bravo Knox for fabulous consistency in multiple appropriate "Outs!", in working diligently to keep that "J" loop, in excellent perseverance working Gunny closer and closer and closer to the planted distraction dog, in GREAT footwork, and appropriate soft verbal praise, and in taking timely coaching from your Mom.
The rule of thumb when working a dog is to determine IF the corrections (the Outs!, the turns, the proximity to the planted distractions, etc,) are increasing the dogs' obedience/understanding or decreasing the dog's obedience/understanding. Gunny's obedience/understanding, that she needed to ignore the planted distraction and instead focus on you, Knox, increased. She got better and better and better. And with her Temperament, she not only acknowledged you as her leader, she started to work FOR you and WITH you. A stubborn dog can be tough to learn the KMODT mechanics on (I am SURE you have bruises on your shins) is that Gunny's stubbornness also is an indicator of her mental stamina. Gunny could handle the work you did with her. Had you worked Abby, at the level you worked Gunny, Abby would have melted or quit on you from the mental strain as she is a soft dog with a soft Temperament. So, a good KMODT learns to 'work the dog in front of them in that moment'.
These videos are suberb training as they show the sequence of Gunny's grasping she was better off paying attention to you Knox. And Knox, you never quit on Gunny, never stopped working through this quite tough and challenging environment and you stayed the course. THAT makes me extremely proud of you Knox as I know YOU too have the mental stamina to learn KMODT well.
Hope you all had the best Thanksgiving!!
ReplyDeleteAllysa,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great use of additional distractions! Perfect KMODT thinking. I will review later this afternoon once family leaves. Planning on having you here on Monday at 10 to do some review again. If Knoxs can come, would love to see him and Gunny, too!
See you tomorrow
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, thank you for asking. Doubt if it will ever be repeated
ReplyDeleteWell, well, well. ๐๐๐Bravo Knox for fabulous consistency in multiple appropriate "Outs!", in working diligently to keep that "J" loop, in excellent perseverance working Gunny closer and closer and closer to the planted distraction dog, in GREAT footwork, and appropriate soft verbal praise, and in taking timely coaching from your Mom.
ReplyDeleteThe rule of thumb when working a dog is to determine IF the corrections (the Outs!, the turns, the proximity to the planted distractions, etc,) are increasing the dogs' obedience/understanding or decreasing the dog's obedience/understanding.
Gunny's obedience/understanding, that she needed to ignore the planted distraction and instead focus on you, Knox, increased. She got better and better and better. And with her Temperament, she not only acknowledged you as her leader, she started to work FOR you and WITH you. A stubborn dog can be tough to learn the KMODT mechanics on (I am SURE you have bruises on your shins) is that Gunny's stubbornness also is an indicator of her mental stamina. Gunny could handle the work you did with her. Had you worked Abby, at the level you worked Gunny, Abby would have melted or quit on you from the mental strain as she is a soft dog with a soft Temperament. So, a good KMODT learns to 'work the dog in front of them in that moment'.
These videos are suberb training as they show the sequence of Gunny's grasping she was better off paying attention to you Knox. And Knox, you never quit on Gunny, never stopped working through this quite tough and challenging environment and you stayed the course. THAT makes me extremely proud of you Knox as I know YOU too have the mental stamina to learn KMODT well.
Wow, just plain WOW!!
Allysa's, GREAT coaching, absolutely GREAT coaching, encouragement, and follow through. Wow!!!
ReplyDelete